Monday, December 16, 2013

What If Monet Had A Blog?

I am a big fan of Claude Monet (1840-1926), the French Impressionist painter.  He was a founder of the French Impressionist movement and painted over 1,189 paintings. I love his use of color and how his lifestyle contributed to his artwork. In 1980, he was prosperous enough to buy his home in Giverny where he had cultivated his garden to supply subject matter for him to paint.
Monet in 1922 in his garden.
So I got to thinking about how Monet found time to paint. Since he was born before the internet and computers and even the television were invented, he did not spend his time surfing the net or watching Breaking Bad.  However, what did he miss out on because he didn't have access to the net?
Well, he could have ordered his art supplies online and saved some time and he could have emailed his friends like Renoir and Pisarro and he could have blogged.
This is a quick sketch I did in my moleskine sketchbook when I visited his garden last September. For the sake of this post, I am pretending it is his work and the following is what I imaging he might have said
 "Ran out to the garden this morning to check on things. The pink daisies are in bloom. I had my moleskine in my back pocket so I sat down on the bench and did a 10 minute watercolor sketch. I really like painting flowers and I need to find time to do more paintings of them."

4 comments:

Polly Birchall said...

Those pink daisies are so beautiful I am not surprised you went out to paint them. I couldn't resist the sunflowers in the field next to my house in Arles. So I took a photo on my ipad and I am painting them as I read your blog. Regards Vincent

Unknown said...

I've said it before, but I just have to say it again. Your blog makes me smile. You inspire me to be creative and to have fun. Thank you, Barbara!

Unknown said...

Vincent, please come by and bring your painting of the sunflowers. Text me when you get to the train station in Vernon near my house in Giverny and I'll jump in my roadster and come pick you up. Claude

Unknown said...

Susan,
Thanks as always for you kind and thoughtful comment. I think you have many talents. I think of you every time I put something away it my kitchen, where I can find things because you helped me and taught me how to organize.